Hmm...somehow a whole week slipped by since the last post. Ah well, it was a relatively busy week and weekend. Some highlights:
- My dad will be coming out to work for my company. He's been managing the office for my aunt's trucking company in rural western Wyoming, and would prefer to be back in the Denver area where the rest of our family lives. He's been taking solar design classes (and I've been providing a bit of training) so that he can get a job in the Denver area doing that. But, it would be easier for him to get a job if he's got direct experience. And, Jill and I are going away for three weeks for our honeymoon, so the company desperately needs a designer while I'm away. So, I get to spend a couple of weeks bringing my dad up to speed (and tackling my ever-increasing backlog of projects) and then he'll work with us until he can find a job in Denver. It'll be great to have him out here!!!
- We sold Jill's house (well, duplex). This actually happened the week before, but I never posted it. It was only on the market for three weeks, and she managed to get full price for it. Not sure what our next step is, since we're not planning to start looking for a new house to buy until the beginning of the year. We hope to keep renting out our half of the duplex.
- Going to Corvallis yesterday for the annual da Vinci Days celebration. It was crazy fun, with a pedal-powered Kinetic Sculpture Parade, robots, sustainable technology, art, and all kinds of cool stuff. Descriptions don't do it much justice, so you should check out more of the photos here. One of my favorite things there couldn't be photographed - the room-sized camera obscura. It was a large, black tent with a convex lens and mirror arrangement on top, that projected an image onto a round, stone table. It was essentially like a video projected on the table using just a mirror. I can't really say why I liked it so much, but it was fascinating.
- This morning, we ran into a friend of mine (we'll call him spArk since that's the name he used for a long time, and now I can't remember the Scandinavian name he changed it to last year) who basically works as an urban farmer. He plants gardens on thirteen lawns and a stretch of public land along an unpaved road in the neighborhood. He has a Community Supported Agriculture arrangement with the homeowners, who provide him with money in return for the vegetables and herbs that he grows. It's not much, but he's still able to make a living doing something he loves. It's an extremely interesting arrangement, exactly along the lines of what I wanted to develop in the neighborhood of our new house. I'm glad to see that spArk is pioneering the idea already (and very successfully), and we got to take a tour of one of his plots of land.
- We spent a big chunk of the day working on honeymoon plans. We've got a kickass trip to Denmark, Norway, and Sweden planned, and we mapped out the various places we wanted to go, and looked at some of the travel and lodging options. Lots of time online looking at schedules and maps. I'll post a detailed breakdown of that in the near future. It's going to be awesome.
Okay, I've spent way too long on the computer today, time to sign off...
No comments:
Post a Comment